Tuesday, May 19, 2009

So onward

As the my post graduate studies are coming to a close there are a lot of questions popping up. Like the infamous, "What do you want to do when you grow up?" but the question is never that straight forward.

My final classes are HR - where we are learning not only about how to get hired, but how to do the hiring. And Strategic Planning. What are the implications of a Mission and Vision statement on staffing and programming, budget, governance etc? How do you plan for the future?

So now I'm thinking, do I need a Strategic Plan for my own career? I've always been good at planning when I know what I want. I can plan anything. I'm resourceful. What do I plan when I don't know what I'm planning for? A conundrum.

In all of this studying, one thing has become increasingly clear: I will have to make my own opportunities. Combining that with the ever present pressure of the aforementioned question has led me to Movement Express. At least the idea of Movement Express.

What Movement Express could be:
A series of workshops or a festival, that integrates different forms of dramatic and expressive movement in a way that celebrates and explores the possibilities of cross discipline learning, and provokes new interpretations of art through movement.

Is that too vague?

I want to include: Modern dance, Bellydance, Hoopdance, NIA, Poi, Expressive Movement, Yoga, and any other movement form that is open to interpretation and self discovery.

The format could be a weekend of workshops, performances, and open forums, with an opportunity for participants to teach each other. I want it to be accessible to beginners and experienced dancers/artists.

that's as far as I've got for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My favourite thoughts:

Change isn't made by asking permission. Change is made by asking forgiveness later. - Seth Godin